Position: Managing Director (Three-year contract position with possibility of extension)
Scope of work: The Managing Director of the Sudbury Indie Cinema Co-op is responsible for the start-up and day-to-day management of the organization and offers assistance and support to the Board of Directors in its responsibilities for organizational governance.
Reports to: The Managing Director will report to the Board of Directors generally. Day-to-day line report will be to the Chair of the Board.
Scope authority: The Managing Director is responsible for providing oversight, direction and support to all full-time and part-time affiliate staff.
Education and experience: The incumbent to this position will have a minimum two (2) years’ experience in a management capacity, preferably in a not-for-profit setting, with supervisory responsibilities. S/he will have a working knowledge of film programming, Board and committee development, financial management, grant writing, project management, office administration, human resources management and community/public relations. The incumbent should have the demonstrated ability to lead and manage change and will possess a strong track record as a team leader and builder. The incumbent will possess excellent oral and written communication skills. The incumbent will hold a university degree/college diploma in arts administration, business management, marketing or the equivalent.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Governance, Leadership and Management
- Ensures that Sudbury Indie Cinema Co-op policies and operational procedures are developed, updated and adhered to throughout the organization’s strategic plan, budgets and operational strategies.
- Ensures the preparation and presentation of budget and planning documents, making certain adequate systems are in place to demonstrate full accountability and reporting for both human and monetary resources.
- Is responsible for grant and contribution proposal writing and overall administration and oversight of grants and contributions, including submission of claims and reports.
- Directs and provides oversight to ensure the effective utilization and administration of the organization’s human, financial, physical and information resources to meet its mission, goals, plans and strategies.
- Prepares an annual budget to support the strategic imperatives of the organization.
- Implements the approved organizational action plan according to the budget, providing timely updates/information to the Board of Directors.
- Ensures that financial, statistical and corporate records are maintained according to applicable legislation.
- Ensures that the organization carries out its operational responsibilities in accordance with contractual obligations.
- Identifies the principal risks of the business and mitigates. Ensures the implementation of systems to manage risk.
- Human Resources Management & Development
- Manages and provides leadership to the organization’s human resources in accordance with authorized policies, procedures and legislative requirements.
- Hires and dismisses staff in consultation with the Board of Directors.
- Ensures that job descriptions are in place and updated and clearly communicated to individual staff members of the organization.
- Undertakes yearly performance reviews with staff and ensures the use of tools that promote fair and transparent performance appraisals.
- Ensures proper orientation and training processes are in place for all staff and new Board members.
- Communicates staff needs and/or concerns to the Board of Directors.
- Ensures that staff is regularly informed of Board decisions.
- Film Programming and Theatre Operations
- Provides oversight and project management of the construction phase of the Sudbury Indie Cinema Co-op theatre.
- Manages the day-to-day operations and administration of the theatre (i.e. maintenance of facility and equipment, landlord/tenant relationship, purchasing).
- Plans, organizes, directs, evaluates and reports on film programming and special film events throughout the year.
- Analyzes and recommends a competitive fee structure to the Board for theatre rentals, film events, film programming and advertising.
- Manages relations with film distributors, including box office reports and payment communications.
- Marketing, Communications, Public Relations and Fundraising
- Ensures the development and implementation of effective communication strategies with stakeholders, members and the public.
- Oversees the design, marketing and promotion of all Sudbury Indie Cinema Co-op programming and special events.
- Oversees fundraising planning and implementation including identifying resources and potential funders, research into strategies to approach funders, submitting applications and funding proposals and administering records and documentation.
- Collaborates effectively with the community, governments, agencies, sponsors, donors and other organizations to effectively deliver Sudbury Indie Cinema Co-op’s programs.
- Facilitates collegial working relationships with other film industry, film festival, arts and cultural organizations.
- Represents Sudbury Indie Cinema to the community corporations and the media.
- Assists or implements any other such projects or tasks as may be assigned by the Sudbury Indie Cinema Co-op Board of Directors.
Please apply in confidence to Derek Young, Board Chairperson via email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Monday, June 27, 2016. Only those short listed for interviews will be contacted.
For more information on the Indie Cinema please visit our website at www.sudburyindiecinema.com